York County Senior Honors Choir, now in its 21st year, is an advanced, auditioned community youth choir, comprised of 100 singers in grades 10-12, selected from 20 public and private school districts, homeschools, churches, or voice studios of York County, PA. The choir has performed in local venues and national and international cathedrals and participated in choral workshops with several regional collegiate conductors. Concorde Vocal Ensemble, chosen by audition from current members of York County Senior Honors Choir, was selected from a nationwide competition as one of two high school choirs to perform in the National High School Choral Festival at Carnegie Hall in 2011, and one of only twenty choirs chosen from ten Northeastern states to sing for the ACDA Eastern Division Conference in Providence, RI in 2012.
This unique educational opportunity gives singers the ability to reach a higher level of musicianship with other students who have the same love of music and desire for excellence. After their tenure, Honors Choir alumni go on to achieve success in their communities, benefitting from their confidence and skills obtained through the program.
York County Honors Choirs, Inc., a 501c3 nonprofit organization, is comprised of Senior Honors Choir and Junior Honors Choir (grades 7-9), and is organized and maintained by a volunteer Board of Directors.
To stay informed of position details, click on the Seeking Artistic Director tab.
To view/hear previous programs and repertoire, visit the Encore tab.
Part-time seasonal, independent contractor, salaried position
Approximately 15-20 hours/week - mid-August to mid-June
Transition to begin January 2020
Reports to the Board of Directors and works in conjunction with the Executive Director
- Provides overall artistic leadership and direction to the Senior Honors Choir as well as balancing work within a team setting
- Commits to embracing the mission and growth of the organization, while respecting the choir’s traditions and history
- Collaborates with the Junior Honors Choir Director in programming and choir management
- Supervises the Senior Honors Choir professional choral accompanist
- Establishes relationships with county school district choral directors and community music leaders for recommendations of singers
- Annually auditions and evaluates choir members and selects vocal ensemble, soloists and musicians
- Selects repertoire, works with office staff to select performance venues, and sets performance schedule
- Contacts/visits performance venues in advance to discuss performance needs
- Practices and prepares music for rehearsals – rehearsal tracks are recorded and produced by director or in collaboration with production studio
- Collaborates with staff to arrange for the professional audio recording of concerts
- Collaborates with staff in producing printed concert programs
- Identifies and develops collaborations with other musical groups and individuals
- With staff, conceives and plans annual trip itinerary including overseeing singers on overnight trips
- Represents the choir in media appearances
- Collaborates with staff in developing promotional products and publicity for the choir
- Follows approved annual budget for programs
- Presents bi-monthly reports to the board of directors regarding the status of the artistic program and projects
- Attends bi-monthly board and staff meetings
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Fluency with electronic mediums: word processing, e-mail, internet
- Participates in professional organizations
- Any tasks not included in this job description will be agreed upon by the employee and the President of the Board of Directors or Executive Director
REHEARSALS: One Sunday afternoon a week from mid-September to November and January to early February. Director will monitor attendance of singers and communicate if necessary. Director will coordinate rehearsals with accompanist but also be prepared to skillfully lead a rehearsal from the piano.
CURRENT CONCERT CYCLE: Two concert cycles with two sets of repertoire: One cycle in November performing one collaborative concert, and one cycle in February to June performing approximately 5 concerts in local venues.
Concorde Vocal Ensemble (select group of 25-30 chosen by audition from Senior Honors Choir members) performs 3-4 additional concerts.
SALARY: $14,000-$18,000/year, commensurate with experience
EXPERIENCE: Youth Choir and/or Choral Festival conducting in community or education setting: minimum 5 years
EDUCATION: Minimum bachelor’s degree in music, master’s preferred Keyboard proficiency preferred
APPLICATION PROCESS: Interested candidates should mail or email a cover letter, resume, and 3 professional references to:
or York County Honors Choirs, PO Box 827, York, PA 17405
APPLICATION DEADLINE: April 30, 2019
Questions about position should be directed to the Executive Director Bill Lytle at [email protected]